When you’ve found the perfect home for sale in Middle Tennessee, it’s the perfect time to commit yourself to taking great care of it – and by making a few smart choices, you can save yourself time and money, as well.
1. Save energy (and your appliances) by not preheating your oven. Unless you’re baking bread or pastries, you don’t need to preheat your oven before you start cooking; simply turn it on when you put the food in. When you’re checking on your food, leave the door closed and peek through the window to conserve heat.
2. Wash your clothes with cold or warm water instead of hot water. If everyone stopped using the hottest settings on their own washing machines, we could save enough energy to compensate for about 100,000 barrels of oil per day. (Your bill for heating the water will be a lot lower, too.)
3. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth. If you do, you’ll save up to 5 gallons of water each day… and if everyone else did, we could save up to 1.5 billion gallons of water every day.
4. Change the temperature in your new home. Adjusting your thermostat one degree higher in the summer and one degree cooler in the winter will save you money on your energy bills. You can also make use of a programmable thermostat to change your home’s temperatures based on when you’re home and when you’re not.
5. Water your lawn early in the morning, before moisture gets lost to steamy temperatures. That way, you’re not wasting water on evaporation.
6. Turn off the lights when you leave a room. You’ll save money on new bulbs and energy, and you’ll save money on cooling costs as well – lights contribute to the heat in a room.
7. Close your fireplace damper when you’re not using it. If you keep it open when there’s no fire on the hearth, it’s just like keeping a 48-inch window open; you’ll lose hundreds of dollars’ worth of warm air in the winter, and your energy costs will skyrocket.
Ready to Find a New Home in Middle Tennessee?
When you’re ready to look for homes for sale in Middle Tennessee, we’d love to help. Just call us at 615-473-5973 or get in touch with us online. We know all of the neighborhoods from Nashville to Arrington, and we’ll be happy to help you find exactly what you need.