You went through a lot of work to stage your home properly, but you’re still living there. Are you supposed to keep your house at this level of perfection until you have a buyer ready to go?
Fortunately, it sounds a lot harder than it is.
How to Keep Your Home Staged Until it Sells
You’ll probably have to curb your habit of putting the mail on the kitchen counter as soon as you walk in the door, and you probably can’t leave dishes in the sink. Those may be the hardest parts of keeping your home staged, though, as long as you follow this simple plan.
1. Decide which rooms don’t need to be cleaned every day. If you can stick to using one bathroom, do it; it’ll save you plenty of work when a buyer wants to see your house. Your home office, guest bedrooms and other areas of the house that don’t get much use will probably be fine with a weekly dust-vacuum combo.
2. Every morning, remove everything that doesn’t belong on your countertops, tabletops and other surfaces. That way a potential buyer can come first thing in the morning without you worrying about things you’ve left out.
3. Keep new towels on-hand for showings. When someone is coming, whisk away the everyday towels you and your family use and replace them with brand-new, never-used linens. (As soon as they leave, put the old ones back so the new ones remain unused.)
4. Designate someone to do the dishes right after meals. Your family may not be too happy about it, especially if you have teenagers, but you won’t like having to scramble to cram dishes in the dishwasher with only a few minutes of notice.
5. Start storing personal items out-of-sight. Once you’re done with the shower, put shampoo and other effects in the cabinet; pull down family photos or anything that might distract buyers. Keep your valuables locked away, too, because you won’t be there when strangers are coming through your home.
Are You Selling a Home in Middle Tennessee?
When you’re selling your home, you deserve to work with a professional Realtor® who can give you an accurate comparative market analysis and who understands how to market to today’s buyers.
Call us at 615-473-5973 or get in touch with us online. We will develop a custom marketing plan to put your home in front of the right buyers and help you sell it as quickly as possible. While you’re here, make sure you download your free Seller’s Guide – it’s packed with great tips and real, actionable information you can use to help you through the entire process.